Newly restored Canada Pavilion unveiled at the 16th International Architecture Exhibition
After six decades presenting some of the country’s most celebrated artists and architects, the Canada Pavilion in Venice, Italy has undergone a major, $3-million restoration. The designated heritage building is an important architectural landmark in the Giardini di Castello, the traditional site of the International Art and Architecture Exhibitions of La Biennale di Venezia. Restored to its original 1957 design with functional upgrades, the renewed Pavilion was officially unveiled on May 26, 2018 at the 16th International Architecture Exhibition.
Produced by the National Film Board of Canada (NFB), this series of short films features interviews with key Canadian and Italian contributors to the restoration project.
Tucked between the pavilions of Great Britain and Germany, the Canada Pavilion embraces its wooded site. The building fully integrates two large living trees within its perimeter walls. Shaped in plan like a nautilus shell, the building spirals out from a tapered octagonal column at its centre that supports the dramatic beams of its roof structure. When the Pavilion was unveiled in June 1958, it was described as a “small jewel of a showcase.”
Prompted by the building’s precarious state of disrepair and functional limitations, a project for the rehabilitation of the Canada Pavilion was initiated in 2014. Originally designed by Enrico Peressutti of the renowned Milanese architectural studio BBPR (Banfi, Belgiojoso, Peressutti, Rogers) in 1956, the Canada Pavilion was completely restored by architect Alberico Barbiano di Belgiojoso, heir to the BBPR studio, working in close cooperation with Venice-based architect Troels Bruun of M+B Studio. The surrounding landscape has been revitalized by la Biennale di Venezia in collaboration with acclaimed Canadian landscape architect Cornelia Hahn Oberlander and Bryce Gauthier of Enns Gauthier Landscape Architects. Learn more
The four-year restoration was led by the National Gallery of Canada with the support of La Biennale di Venezia and the Venice Superintendent for Architectural Heritage, the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada and Global Affairs Canada with the exceptional collaboration of the Canadian Embassy in Rome. Learn more
In the spring of 1958, director Colin Low and a team from the National Film Board of Canada filmed a documentary in Venice: City out of Time. Watch excerpts from the film, which feature images of the Canada Pavilion when it was newly constructed.