Elisapee Ishulutaq

Tusiarvik (A Place for Prayer)

2009
Category: 
This work recalls Ishulutaq’s memories of when Inuit travelled from their camps to attend Sunday services. Established in 1926, the Anglican church of St. Luke’s was one of the first buildings in Pangnirtung and was for years considered a local landmark. In 1930, the parish also opened a hospital, the second in the Arctic, which figured largely in the health and lives of Inuit. The melancholy setting, the fading light of twilight, the church’s isolation and its slight distance from the snow house suggest quietude and remembrance of past times.
Title
Tusiarvik (A Place for Prayer)
Date
2009
Medium
Drawing
Materials
oil stick over graphite on wove paper
Dimensions
101.2 x 57 cm
Nationality
Canadian
Credit line
Purchased 2010
Accession number
43192