by 1903 –
Lucien Simon (1861–1945)(?) 
Carfax Gallery (Arthur B. Clifton, 1862–1932), London, UK 
Madeline Clifton, née Knox (Mrs. Arthur B. Clifton (b.1890), London, by inheritance 
Arthur Tooth & Sons Ltd., London, UK 
1939/04 – 1946/10/01
The Rt. Hon. Charles Vincent Massey (1887–1967), Toronto, Canada, purchased from Tooth & Sons 
National Gallery of Canada, given by the Massey Foundation (The Massey Collection of English Painting) 
The main source for this provenance is Wendy Baron's publication “Sickert: Paintings and Drawings.” New Haven: Yale University Press, 2006, cat. no. 278. Exceptions and other supporting documents are noted.
 According to Wendy Baron, the work was possibly included in the exhibition “Société Nouvelle des Peintres et Sculpteurs” in February 1903 at Durand-Ruel. The catalogue listn the painter Lucien Simon as the lender.
 Arthur Clifton was a lawyer, and known as Oscar Wilde's solicitor, before he opened the Carfax Gallery in 1898.
 Madeline Clifton was Sickert's assistant at his art school at Rowlandson House in London before marrying Arthur Clifton. The painting was included in an exhibition at Agnew's in 1933 [“Retrospective Exhibition of Pictures by W.R. Sickert.” cat. no. 3 as “The New Bedford”]. The catalogue mentions Ms. Clifton as the owner.
 See note . It is not clear if London art dealer Tooth & Sons owned the painting or if they were acting as an agent for Ms. Clifton.
 In a letter dated April 3rd 1939, Sir Vincent Massey, the 18th Governor General of Canada, informs S.G. Randall of the National Trust Company that he has just purchased the painting from Tooth & Sons, London, for £500. He notes that the Massey Foundation acquired the painting with the intention to present it to the National Gallery of Canada [Massey Family records, University of Toronto Archives, Ref. B1987-0082 1250 (04)].
 Accession Log [NGC curatorial file].