Archer-Houblon collection, Welford Park, Berkshire, UK 
Spink & Sons, London, UK 
A. de Casseres, London 
by 1934/05/07–still in 1934/06/02
Kunsthandel Douwes, Amsterdam, The Netherlands 
by 1934/11/17–still in 1934/12/15
Nathan and Benjamin Katz, Dieren, The Netherlands 
Baron Van Heeckeren Van Molecaten, Hattem, The Netherlands 
Estate of Nathan Katz, Dieren, The Netherlands, and Basel, Switzerland 
Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, UK, purchased from the Katz estate 
National Gallery of Canada, purchased from Thomas Agnew & Sons 
The main source for this provenance is Hans-Ulrich Beck's catalogue raisonné, cat. no. 692 [Beck, Hans-Ulrich “Jan Van Goyen 1596–1656. Ein Oeuvreverzeichnis.” Amsterdam: Van Gendt & Co. 1973, p. 316]. Exceptions and other supporting documents are noted.
 Welford Park has been in the possession o f the Archer-Houblon family since 1618.
 Spink & Sons was a London art dealership.
 A. de Casseres was a London art dealer.
 The work was included in an exhibition at the art dealership of the Douwes brothers in Amsterdam from May 7 to June 2, 1934 [“Catalogus der Tentoonstelling van Oude Schilderijen.” Kunsthandel Gebr. Douwes, Amsterdam, cat. no. 20, repr.] The catalogue does not include any information about seller or buyer of the work.
 The painting was included in an exhibition organised by the art dealers Nathan and Benjamin Katz at the Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem in 1934 [“Tentoonstelling van Schilderijen van oud-hollandsche Meesters uit de collectie Katz de Dieren.” Nov. 17 – Dec. 15 1934 Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem, The Netherlands no. 13 as Riviergezicht]. The catalogue mentions that the work comes from an English collection.
 Baron Van Heeckeren Van Molencaten is listed as a former owner of the work in the Paris sales catalogue of 1951 [See note 7]. He can possibly be identified as Evert Walraven Van Heeckeren Van Molencaten (1914–2001) who was private secretary to Queen Juliana of the Netherlands from 1950–56.
 The painting was included in the estate sale of Nathan Katz (d.1949), held at the Galerie Charpentier in Paris on April 25, 1951. It sold to the art dealer Agnew & Sons of London [“Succession N. K. Importants Tableaux Anciens.“ Galerie Charpentier, Paris, April 25, lot 25 as Vue de Chateau de Montfort]. The earlier provenance listed in the catalogue is confused with that of a different painting by Van Goyen (Beck cat. no 691), now in the Bührle collection, Zürich. However, Baron Van Heeckeren Van Molencaten is listed as the last owner of the work.
 See note .
 Accession Log [NGC curatorial file].
The Ottawa panel has been confused in the past with a very similar composition of the Montfoort castle of 1648 in the Bührle collection, Zürich, of almost the same dimensions (Hofstede de Groot, VIII , cat. no. 165; Beck, no. 691).