The Capitol sits on the Campidoglio, the smallest of the seven hills of Rome. In ancient times, it was the religious and political centre of the city, and it remains at its heart today. The visit of Charles V of France in 1535 prompted Pope Paul III to commission from Michelangelo a monumental piazza on the Campidoglio. The architect designed a complex of buildings surrounding a terrace overlooking modern Rome, but only the staircase of the Palazzo dei Senatori was completed before his death. The other elements were finished by other architects who modified the original design. From beside the Palazzo dei Conservatori, the artist takes a sidelong view of Michelangelo's staircase. Beyond it, a bit of the Capitoline Museum is visible.