The Cannaregio (Canale Regio, or Royal Canal), an important waterway in the north-west part of Venice, was at one time the principal route of contact with the mainland. In the foreground of this view of the canal's terminus is the Ponte delle Guglie (Bridge of the Spires), built in 1580 and restored in 1776, when the four obelisks were added that gave the bridge its name. The massive structure that dominates the right side of the scene is the Palazzo Labia, built for the family of the same name and completed in the early part of the 18th century. It now houses the Italian national television network. Unseen behind the Palazzo Labia is the corner where the Cannaregio meets the Grand Canal.