Edith Lalande Patterson

The Baths of Caracalla

c. 1910-1914
The Baths of Caracalla, built for the emperor Caracalla between 212 and 217, were among the many lavish complexes for public bathing constructed in ancient Rome. Roman baths were in use until 537, when invading Goths damaged the aqueducts that supplied their water.
Title
The Baths of Caracalla
Date
c. 1910-1914
Medium
Print
Materials
aquatint on heavy wove paper
Dimensions
29.1 x 22.5 cm; plate: 24.1 x 17.4 cm
Nationality
British; Canadian
Credit line
Purchased 1914
Accession number
1029