M.C. Escher

San Michele dei Frisoni, Rome (Tenth century)

June 1932
The church of SS. Michele e Magno was probably founded by Pope Leo III in the early 9th century. It was restored in the 13th century, when its campanile was added, and almost entirely rebuilt in the 18th century. In the background, dwarfing the medieval church and its gardens, is the basilica of St. Peter's.
Artist
Title
San Michele dei Frisoni, Rome (Tenth century)
Date
June 1932
Medium
Print
Materials
lithograph on heavy wove paper
Dimensions
48.5 x 54.5 cm; image: 43.6 x 48.7 cm
Nationality
Dutch
Credit line
Gift of George Escher, Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, 1983
Rights
© Cordon Art B.V. - Baarn - Netherlands. Used by Permission. All rights reserved.
Accession number
28466

More from M.C. Escher