James Kerr-Lawson

San Firenze

1908
For Stoke Rochford Hall, in Lincolnshire, James Kerr-Lawson painted a series of murals of mostly Italian scenes. He later used ten of these scenes as the basis for his series of lithographs, The Italian Set, of which this image is one. Behind the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, the Piazza San Firenze opens onto a view of the Badia and the Palazzo del Podestà, or Bargello. Begun in 1255, the Bargello is the oldest public palace in the city; since 1859 it has housed the National Museum. Its tower, called the Volognana, is visible on the left. On the other side is the Badia, the Benedictine church founded in 978. Beside its tower (added in the early 14th century) is Brunelleschi's famous dome (1420-34) of Santa Maria del Fiore. Kerr-Lawson allowed this scene to be reversed in the printmaking process.
Title
San Firenze
Date
1908
Medium
Print
Materials
lithotint on wove paper, mounted on card
Dimensions
31.5 x 19.7 cm; image: 29.6 x 18.3 cm
Nationality
Canadian; British
Credit line
Purchased 1913
Accession number
826