These sculptures were part of a crucifixion scene originally in a parish church in the village of Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, 100 kilometres east of Quebec City, on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River. The church council commissioned the sculptor to produce the group in 1797. We can feel the tension in the posture of these figures, conveying their torment.
Materialspolychromed and gilded white pine
136.3 x 45 x 41 cm