– still in 1950
Henri Matisse (1869-1954)
by 1956 – 1958/04/16
Pierre Matisse Gallery, New York, USA
National Gallery of Canada, purchased from the Pierre Matisse Gallery 
 The artwork can be seen hanging on M. and Mme. Matisse’s dining room wall of their 4th floor apartment, 1 place Charles-Felix, in Nice, France, on a photo, dated c. 1929 [Elderfield, John. "Henri Matisse. A Retrospective." New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1992, p. 296.] When the NGC in 1950 showed interest in acquiring the painting, Matisse responded that it would be an appropriate choice. Later he wrote the Gallery to say that he had changed his mind and wanted to keep the work because of its special significance for him. In 1958, it was offered by Pierre Matisse on behalf of Matisse’s estate [Buchnan Donald W. "Interview in Montparnasse." "Canadian Art." vol. 8, no. 2 (1950-51): 61-65] and accession log [NGC curatorial file].
Signed on l. l.: Henri Matisse 26