by 1835 – 1877/12
M.M. van Loon, Amsterdam, The Netherlands 
Rothschild family 
– still in 1926
Edmond Benjamin James de Rothschild (1845–1934) Paris, France 
c. 1934 – c. 1940
James Armand Edmond de Rothschild (1878–1957), Edmond's son, Paris and Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire, UK, by inheritance (?) 
Deborgh collection, Germany (?) 
with Somerville & Simpson (Michael Simpson), London UK, purchased from Deborgh collection 
National Gallery of Canada, purchased from Somerville & Simpson, 
 In 1835 the work is described by John Smith as belonging to the collection of M.M. van Loon, Amsterdam [“A catalogue raisonné of the works of the most eminent Dutch, Flemish, and French painters ”London: Smith and Son, 1835, p. 195, cat. no 66].
 See note .
 In December 1877, the painting was among 99 works of art purchased from the Van Loon collection by Alphonse, Gustave, Edmond, Lionel and Ferdinand de Rothschild, who were acting in syndicate. According to Hofstede de Groot, the work then entered the collection of Edmond de Rothschild, Paris [Hofstede de Groot, C. “Beschreibendes und kritisches Verzeichnis der Werke der hervorragendsten holländischen Maler des 17. Jahrhunderts.“ vol.9, Esslingen, Paris, 1926, p.434, cat.no.46].
 Most of Edmond de Rothschild's art collection was inherited by his son James Armand. A painting by Both, entitled “La halte des chasseurs”, is listed as being looted during the German occupation of France from the collection of James Armand Rothschild in the “Répertoire des biens spoliés en France durant la guerre 1939-1945”[Paris, 1947, reprint 1997, p. 102, no.1783, OBIP no. 32.330].
 In a letter to NGC research curator for European Art, Myron Laskin Jr., Michael Simpson of Somerville & Simpson, London, notes that he is selling the painting on behalf of a foreign client [letter dated Nov. 3, 1977, Accession records, NGC curatorial file]. In a memorandum dated Feb.27, 1978, NGC Myron Laskin Jr. notes that Somerville & Simpson disclosed to him that the painting came from the “Deborgh collection” in Southern Germany [NGC curatorial file].
 See note  and . In a letter to Myron Laskin Jr. dated Nov.17, 1977, Michael Simpson mentions that he was acting in this sale on behalf of the company Cavendish Gordon B.V., located in Amsterdam, and requests that payments for the painting were made to them [Accession records, NGC curatorial file].
 The National Gallery of Canada purchased the work from London art dealer Somerville and Simpson in December 1977 [Accession log, NGC curatorial file].