Clarence Gagnon

Grand Canal, Venice

1905-1906
Dominating this (reversed) view of the palaces that line the banks of the Grand Canal is the church of Santa Maria della Salute, situated at its mouth. On the bank to the right is the massive bulk of the Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti with the Palazzo Barbaro beside it. On the left is the stretch of canal between the Palazzo Mula and the Palazzo Contarini-Polignac, including the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni (the long, low structure partially hidden by trees), home to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection.
Title
Grand Canal, Venice
Date
1905-1906
Medium
Print
Materials
etching in brown on wove paper
Dimensions
24.8 x 30.2 cm; plate: 18.8 x 25 cm
Nationality
Canadian
Credit line
Purchased 1926
Accession number
3475

More from Clarence Gagnon