Harriet Ford's view shows the Piazzetta San Marco with the two columns of Marco and Todaro. Behind are the Library and the Mint, both built by Jacopo Sansovino in the second half of the 16th century. Past the mint are the Royal Gardens on the site of the old granary, destroyed by Napoleon in 1807. The real focus of the scene is the group of gondolas moored in the Bacino. In 1633, a decree required all gondolas to be painted black - their gaudy coloration offended the Doges.
Materialswatercolour over graphite on grey wove paper
32.2 x 49.9 cm