Jean Renoir (1894–1979), Marlotte, France 
“Candia Comp.” 
E.J. Van Wisselingh & Co, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, purchased from “Candia Comp.” 
National Gallery of Canada, purchased from E. J. Van Wisselingh & Co 
 Pieter Eilers of E.J. Van Wisselingh & Co., Amsterdam, states that Jean Renoir was owner of the work until 1938 [cable to H.O. McCurry, former Director of the National Gallery of Canada, dated April 27, 1949, Accession records, NGC curatorial file]. In 1938, the painting was included in an exhibition at the Galerie Bernheim-Jeune, Paris. A photograph of this exhibition shows the painting on display [Dauberville, Guy-Patrice and Michel, “Renoir. 1858-1881. Catalogue Raisonné des Tableaux, Pastels, Dessins et Aquarelles.” Paris: Éditions Bernhein-Jeune 2007, p. 103, bottom picture]. The work is not included in the exhibition catalogue, because it was provided to Bernheim-Jeune after the catalogue had already gone into print ["Renoir portraitiste.” Galerie Bernheim- Jeune, Paris, June 10 to end of July, 1938, hors cat.].
 The Van Wisselingh stock books list the “Candia Comp.” as owner of the work until 1950. The painting, however, was already purchased by the NGC in March 1949 [Van Wisselingh archive, stock number S 7119, RKD, The Hague, The Netherlands].
 It is not clear if Van Wisselingh ever actually owned the painting or simply acted as an agent. The Van Wisselingh stock records list Candia Comp. as owner until 1950 [see note 2]. In 1948 and 1949, however, Claude et Renée was already included exhibitions held by Van Wisselingh in Montreal and Toronto ["French Paintings of the XIXth and XXth Centuries. Collection of Mr. P. Eilers of E.J. Van Wisselingh & Co., Amsterdam, Holland”, Montreal, Watson Galleries, until December 25,1948; cat. no. 25; "French Paintings of the XIXth and XXth Centuries. Collection of Mr. P. Eilers of E.J. Van Wisselingh & Co., Amsterdam, Holland”, Laing Galleries, Toronto, until December 25, 1949; cat. no. 25].
 See note . Accession Log [NGC curatorial file].