Dancer, c. 1818-1822
172.7 cm high
National Gallery of Canada (no. 15443)
The "Dancer" is the second version of a statue first commissioned by the Empress Josephine, whose husband was a great admirer of Canova's work. The original version, now in the Hermitage, Saint Petersburg, was exhibited at the Paris Salon of 1812. True to the Neo-classical style, of which Canova was one of the greatest exponents, the figure is inspired by the Antique but radiates a sense of the contemporary in its pose and human presence.
PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH