St. Mark's, Venice, 1922
Donald Shaw MacLaughlan
Canadian, American, 1876
etching on laid paper
25.8 x 34.6 cm; plate: 23 x 29.1 cm
Gift of Herman A. Webster, Paris, 1960, in memory of the artist
National Gallery of Canada (no. 9241)
The church of San Marco was founded in 828 to house the remains of Mark the Evangelist, brought from the East by two Venetian merchants. It was consecrated in 832, destroyed by fire, rebuilt in 978, demolished, and finally built in its present form in 1063. The basilica was consecrated in 1094, but elaborations to the building and its façade continued for centuries thereafter. In the piazza before the basilica are three ship's masts on which banners of red and gold fly on feast days. The masts stand on bronze pedestals made by Alessandro Leopardi in 1505.