Collections

The VirginEnlarge image

The Virgin, 1797

François Baillairgé
Canadian, 1759 - 1830
polychromed and gilded white pine
137.3 x 55 x 47 cm
Purchased 1957
National Gallery of Canada (no. 6742)

These sculptures were part of a crucifixion scene originally in a parish church in the village of St-Jean-Port-Joli, 100 kilometres east of Quebec City, on the south shore of the St. Lawrence. The church council commissioned the sculptor to produce the group in 1797. We can feel the tension in the bearing of these figures, conveying their torment.

Categories

Canadian
Sculpture

Audioguide

Audioguide (1 min 31 sec)

Media

No Media

Library and Archives

Search for catalogue entries

Extras

No Extras