Big AEnlarge image

Big A, 1968

Jack Bush
Canadian, 1909 - 1977
acrylic on canvas
228.5 x 145 cm
Purchased 1969
National Gallery of Canada (no. 15792)
©Estate of Jack Bush

According to the artist’s records, Big A was originally titled Big Alkis, after Alkis Klonaridis. Klonaridis was onetime Director of the David Mirvish Gallery (DMG), who later opened his own galleries in Toronto and New York City. He was a regular visitor to Bush’s studio and was often present for the selection of paintings for DMG. Klonaridis owned a much smaller version of this painting called Little A (Little Alkis). The National Gallery purchased its first Bush painting – Tall Spread – from DMG in 1966.




No Audio


No Media

Library and Archives

Search for catalogue entries


No Extras