The Piazzetta, Venice, c. 1780-1789
Francesco Guardi; Guardi, Francesco, Workshop of
oil on canvas
33.7 x 26.7 cm
Gift, 1976, in memory of Sir Edmund Walker, C.V.O., D.C.L., LL.D., first Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the National Gallery of Canada 1909-1924
National Gallery of Canada (no. 18747)
A companion piece, or pendant, to "The Dogana, Venice", this is a view of the square that opens onto the "Bacino" (Pool of San Marco). On the left is a corner of the Ducal Palace, the main administrative building of the old Republic of Venice and residence of the Doge, or chief magistrate. The lines of the composition lead to the column supporting the lion of Saint Mark, the symbol of the city.