San Lorenzo, 1908
British, 1862 - 1939
lithotint on wove paper, mounted on card
30.5 x 21 cm; image: 29.1 x 20.3 cm
National Gallery of Canada (no. 752)
Piazza San Lorenzo, Florence
For Stoke Rochford Hall, in Lincolnshire, James Kerr-Lawson painted a series of murals of mostly Italian scenes. He later used ten of these scenes as the basis for his series of lithographs, The Italian Set, of which this image is one. The Piazza San Lorenzo takes its name from the massive church that occupies its western side. The church was remodelled by Filippo Brunelleschi between 1419 and 1442 and completed only after his death by a pupil - a bit of its unfinished façade can be seen at the left side of this view. In the foreground of the scene is the statue of Giovanni delle Bande Nere (1540) by Baccio Bandinelli. The Piazza is the site now of a lively market.