The Piazzetta, Venice, c. 1743
Italian, 1721 - 1780
oil on canvas
151.5 x 121.5 cm
National Gallery of Canada (no. 3720)
From the quay of the Venetian Lagoon, one sees the Piazzetta, or little square of St. Mark. On the left, the Library by Sansovino is shown in shadow, between the strong verticals of the column that carries the winged lion of St. Mark and the Campanile, or bell tower. On the right is the Ducal Palace, the residence of the Doge and seat of government.
More from Bernardo BellottoThe Arsenal, Venice
151.1 x 121.5 cm