The Gallery is open during road work on Sussex Drive.

Joe Fafard
Running Horses, 2007
laser cut steel, 10 12 m installation width
Purchased 2008 with the generous support of the Distinguished Patrons of the National Gallery of Canada Foundation
National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
Photo © National Gallery of Canada

Founding Partners

The National Gallery of Canada Foundation was created in 1997 under the leadership of Jean-Claude Delorme, O.C., O.Q., C.R., (1934–2006). Together, the 20 founding patrons – known as the Founding Partners’ Circle – provided the Foundation’s first endowment fund in support of the National Gallery.

In 2005, on the occasion of the Gallery’s 125th anniversary and the opening of its superb exhibition of Renaissance art, another group of donors – the Distinguished Patrons – raised a record $1 million in a single evening. Their generosity was matched by a gift of $1 million from the Department of Canadian Heritage.

The Distinguished Patrons went on to raise $650,000 to establish an endowment fund for Canadian touring exhibitions. They have also supported major acquisitions, including Canadian sculptor Joe Fafard’s magnificent Running Horses.

The NGC Foundation is grateful to its Founding Partners’ Circle:

Bell
BMO Financial Group
CIBC
Nahum Gelber, Q.C., and Dr. Sheila Gelber
Michal Hornstein, C.M., O.Q., and Renata Hornstein
Imperial Oil Foundation
Imperial Tobacco Canada Foundation
Parnassus Foundation (Raphael and Jane Bernstein)
Jean H. Picard, C.M.
Power Corporation of Canada
RBC Foundation
Donald R. Sobey, C.M., and Beth Sobey
TD Bank Financial Group
Sara Vered, C.M. and Zeev Vered, C.M., P. Eng. (1926-2008)