Distinguished Patrons of the National Gallery of Canada Foundation represent a dynamic pan-Canadian and international family of art enthusiasts, friends of the Gallery and generous patrons who share a powerful commitment to our country’s leading visual arts institution.
Meeting at the National Gallery and at events across Canada, they share knowledge and ideas about art and collecting.
Distinguished Patrons give an initial, one-time contribution of $100,000 to the Foundation. From then on, they offer ongoing leadership and support of National Gallery initiatives and special campaigns on a discretionary basis. The contribution of $100,000 can be made in a single payment or on a staggered basis over three years.
Founded in 2005 on the occasion of the Gallery’s 125th anniversary and the opening of its superb exhibition of Renaissance art, the Distinguished Patrons raised a record $1 million in a single evening. Their generosity was matched by a $1-million gift from the Department of Canadian Heritage.
The initial group of Distinguished Patrons went on to raise $650,000 to establish an endowment fund for Canadian touring exhibitions. They have supported major acquisitions, including Canadian sculptor Joe Fafard’s magnificent Running Horses.
Today Distinguished Patrons support a variety of Gallery initiatives in the Foundation’s three priority areas. One of the most recent is the Alex Colville archive project.
Benefits, recognition and events
- Free lifetime family membership to the NGC
- Distinguished Patrons events and receptions in cities across Canada
- Annual guided international tours to the great public and private art collections of the world
- Private guided previews of major NGC exhibitions
- Privileged access, by appointment, to NGC curators, conservators and other specialists
- Opportunity for facility and space rentals at the NGC
- VIP privileges, including the use of the NGC Library, complimentary parking, VIP telephone and email service, and NGC Boutique discounts of 15 per cent
- Recognition in NGC Foundation publications, Annual Reports and on the NGC Donor Wall
- Complimentary NGC exhibition catalogues, calendars of events and other publications
Distinguished Patrons of the National Gallery of Canada