Teachers Lesson Plans
The Group of Seven
- Definition: Strict observance of conventional rules.
- Definition: Showing or suggesting a deep sadness or grim depression. Referring to mourning and death.
- Definition: The organization of a scene represented on the canvas. The composition lines give the painting its structure.
- Definition: To give an ideal form. Painter who idealizes his model.
- Definition: To give a sense or a meaning to something.
The Death of General Wolfe, 1770
- Definition: A work of art depicting a scene in nature.
- Definition: The first stage of a work, showing the overall theme and the main elements. Sketches can be done in pen or pencil, or quickly painted on canvas.
- Definition: To use a symbol to depict, express or materialize something.
- Definition: Set of procedures to create a work of art or obtain a predetermined outcome.
- Definition: A method of doing or colouring a drawing using India ink or any other colour thinned with water. A wash may be used for shading, to reveal contours. One of the difficulties associated with washes is that the colours must be applied quickly so that they do not dry too fast or smear.
- Definition: Paint mixed with water that is more transparent than gouache (a thicker water-based paint). Watercolours are applied on paper or board with a large soft-bristled brush. Since the colours are really thinned down, they produce a light background that allows the white of the paper to show through, thus acting as another colour.