Poelenburgh in the National Gallery of CanadaHome
| Français | Introduction
by Malcolm Waddingham
| 3 | 4
14 Oil on copper,
signed "C. P. See also Schaar, op. cit., p. 35,
and the exhibition Nederlandse 17e Eeuwse Italianiserende
Landschapschilders at the Centraal Museum Utrecht, March-May
1965 (cat. no. 12). This picture was also included in the
exhibition Dutch Pictures from The Royal Collection in
1971-1972 at The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace (cat. no. 43).
15 The Miraculous Rod of Moses and the three companion works
were recorded in the inventory of the collection as early as 1638,
but strangely enough (like its pendants) without a name, though
surely conceived for Cosimo II, the Grand Duke of Tuscany, when
Poelenburgh worked for him in Florence. The four copper panels were
included in the exhibition organized by Marco Chiarini in the Pitti
Palace, Florence, and illustrated in the catalogue Artisti alla
Corte Granducale (Florence: May-July 1969), nos 34-37. Three are
illustrated and discussed in Schaar, op. cit., figs 16, 17, 18.
16 Schaar, op. cit., pp. 44, 45, and fig. 25a.
17 Schaar, op. cit., p. 39 and fig. 15. Also included in M.
Chiarini's exhibition Paesisti Bamboccianti e Vedutisti nella
Roma Seicentesca in 1967 at the Pitti Palace (no. 15, illustrated on
18 Hampton Court Palace (cat.no.494, 1925). Schaar, op.
cit., p. 41, repr. fig. 21. Also included in Italianiserende
Landschapschilders (cat. no. 19) at the Central Museum Utrecht,
March - May 1965.
19 Schaar, op. cit., pp. 36, 37, and fig. 10. Also
exhibited in Le siècle de Rembrandt, at the Musee du Petit Palais,
Paris, November 1970- February 1971 (no. 157).
20. Schaar, op. cit., pp. 38, 39, and fig. 14.
Top of this page
Index | Author
& Subject | Credits | Contact
This digital collection
was produced under contract to Canada's Digital Collections program,
Collections Program, Copyright
© National Gallery of